Plastics have been around us for decades and the convenience it provides cannot be matched. It helps in cutting down wastage of food, medicine technology, packaging practices etc. But we have been unable to contain the plastic waste from entering the ocean where it harms the existing ecosystems of the flora and fauna, contaminating it and eventually entering our food chain. According to the United Nations Organization (UNO), approximately 12 million tonnes of plastic garbage enters the waters.
The plastic waste epidemic is evident all over the globe; animals have reportedly died after ingesting it, and it has caused damage to the soil because of microscopic plastic particles have contaminated the very soil that is used to grow our foods. It is time for this nuisance to stop.
Bhamla Foundation, through its environment initiatives, is working towards curbing the plastic menace, keeping in line with the UNO initiative of ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’. The programme was launched at the hands of former Hon President of India Dr.Pranab Mukherjee. Bhamla planted a sapling at the office residence along with the Foundation’s Delhi co-ordinator Renu Tandan and Meraj Husain.
Following the same, the #BeatPlasticPollution song, ideated by Asif Bhamla, composed by Shaan with lyrics by Swanand Kirkire, vocals by Shaan, Kanika Kapoor, Armaan Malik, Shankar Mahadevan, Shreya Ghoshal, Ayushmaan Khurana, Sonu Nigam among others and choreographed by Shiamak Davar was launched at a function at Taj Land's End. Besides Asif Bhamla, Meraj Husain and Saher Bhamla of Bhamla Foundation, Arbaaz Khan, Dia Mirza, Sanjay Nirupam, Yash Birla, Jeetendra, Shaan, Shiamak Davar, Kanika Kapoor, Poonam Dhillon, Prasoon Joshi, Sachin Ahir, Dr.Ajeenkya DY Patil, Jayant Patil, Jaykumar Rawal, Sanjay Khan, Rahul Shewale, Talat Aziz, Rahul Nanda, Raju Srivastava, Dilip and Manali Vengsarkar, Puneet Issar, Ashok Kapoor, Sandeep Runwal, Abha Singh, Sanjukta Barik among many others joined in the celebrations.
The event will also see the felicitation of actress Dia Mirza - the UN Goodwill Ambassador, educationist Ajinkya Patil, lyricist Prasoon Joshi, entrepreneur Neeraj Roy among others.
Dignitaries of the likes of Rajiv Shukla, Poonam Mahajan, Rajkummar Rao will also grace the occasion.
Asif Bhamla, through Bhamla Foundation, had earlier set the thought in motion among the masses with the sapling plantation drive and make and use the paper bag initiative at the hands of Sanjay Dutt.
Bhamla Foundation’s initiative to end plastic usage will be through the following initiatives:
· Handing out bags made out of biodegradable fabrics such as cotton or jute to shopkeepers in and around the city, to drive home the idea of stopping the use of plastic.
· Encouraging and involving the common man in this initiative trough students and the common man. For instance, asking people to pick up plastic littered around as they go for their daily jogging / stroll and rewarding the same.
· Instituting a drainage cleanliness drive along with local volunteers and rewarding the BMC workers who strive to keep them clean as well.
· Pledging to avoid use of plastics in packaging and switching to alternatives such as wood and paper that are biodegradable in nature.
· Organising a drive to ban packaged water that uses plastic components in their packaging. Promote the use of glass bottles.
· Organizing a drive to ban single use packaging in the restaurant and hospitality industry by using reusable containers made of glass or metal and reusable bags made of fabric.
· Reusable containers can be used in places where plastics have been used earlier. Metal or paper containers for cola dispensers etc.
· Biodegradable coffee cups instead of plastics in tea and coffee houses.